Saturday, August 1, 2009

This Week in Nelson, volume 3, number 30

Running really late this week. Time flies when you’re making an omelet, but you have to break a little fun to get eggs. You know? Anyway, this week we’ve got a light selection of all your favorites, built more for speed than comfort, so buckle on in and let’s haul ass.

Birthday shout-out to I think nobody. I think it’s all clear this week. We’ll see if I’m right.

Books read this week:
-Still reading Fates Worse Than Death by, Kurt Vonnegut

Yep, still no reading.

Random out-of-context quotes of the week:
--“It’s just a little bit of pressure that separates a cop from a maniac cop.”

I’ve been awful about writing quotes down this last week. I’ll do my best to get back into the habit, because I feel bad being light on quotes. The quotes are possibly my favorite part of all this.

My Emails to Bill O’Reilly this week:
-“Dear Mr. O’Reilly,
I gotta take a little time
A little time to think things over
I better read between the lines
In case I need it when I'm older

Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders
I through the clouds I see love shine
It keeps me warm as life grows colder

In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
Can't stop now, I've travelled so far
To change this lonely life

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what love is
I know you can show me

I'm gonna take a little time
A little time to look around me
I've got nowhere left to hide
It looks like love has finally found me

In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
I can't stop now, I've travelled so far
To change this lonely life

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what love is
I know you can show me

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
And I wanna feel, I want to feel what love is
And I know, I know you can show me

Let's talk about love
I wanna know what love is, the love that you feel inside
I want you to show me, and I'm feeling so much love
I wanna feel what love is, no, you just cannot hide
I know you can show me, yeah

I wanna know what love is, let's talk about love
I want you to show me, I wanna feel it too
I wanna feel what love is, I want to feel it too
And I know and I know, I know you can show me
Show me love is real, yeah
I wanna know what love is...

That’s right. This shit just got real.

Sincerely,
Roboman
1 August 2009"

Interesting news articles of the week:
-“An undercover sheriff’s deputy in Iredell County, N.C., made a drug buy from undercover officers from the nearby Statesville Police Department. One undercover officer arrested the other until it was all sorted out. ‘We need to be working together out here,’ sighed Statesville Police Chief Tom Anderson.”
-I also read a couple articles that said that a cat’s meow when asking for food is meant to mimic the sound of a human baby to illicit a stronger response in people, ands that cursing when in pain helps raise aggression levels which triggers the fight-or-flight response, which can help to dull pain. I also read a study that said that Jon Stewart is the most trusted newsman in America and well ahead of all the major network anchors, so, right on. Science, man, science.

Something(s) I’m tired of/ mad at:
-9th Street! Still! It’s been significantly more passable, but still, fuck 9th Street.

Something(s) I’m delighted by:
-The weather! Still! It’s been weeks of gorgeous Spring-like weather. I fear the other shoe dropping, environmentally speaking, but still, I’d be willing to fight wolves in the arctic wasteland which was once New York City if we can keep the temperature in the mid-to-low 80's through August.
-Saira Khan. To quote the prophet, I can’t get enough of her love, babe.

Something(s) I found really kind of odd:
-Minivan hotrodding. Either that or a guy in a minivan having car trouble. But it looked like he was showing off.

This Week in Answers to Your This Week in Questions This Week!
--“Are there words to describe the level of suckdom the Royals have achieved so far?”
-I’m a big fan of catastrofuck. I think that about sums it up. And my fantasy team is really just a step better. Baseball, you haunt me.

Saw a couple movies this week in the theater. Saw Public Enemies, which was all right. I think. I was kind of fucked up while watching it, so my judgment isn’t optimal, but it really felt like the narrative thread running throughout that movie was tenuous at best and occasionally nonexistent. And I thought it was odd to make a movie about Dillinger and seemingly ignore his fame with the common man as a kind of modern day Robin Hood. But it looked pretty good, and was more exciting than the average Michael Mann movie, with a machine gun fight I’d say every twenty minutes. I also saw the new Harry Potter, which I enjoyed the hell out of. Funniest Harry Potter movie yet. Just a lot of awkward social and teenage romantic situations, I deemed it to be like an episode of The Office with wizards in it. I would recommend it. I also saw Maniac Cop 2, which was excellent. Rent it with all due haste.

Okay, that’s enough for now. Sorry about the delay. I’d like to say it won’t happen again, but I’d hate to lie to you at this point in our relationship. See you next week.

–> N.

No comments:

Post a Comment